Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tok Aji

We spent the whole day at Tok Aji's house. It was his 84th birthday + 62nd (I think!) wedding anniversary celebration. The whole clan was there except for a few who deserve a knock on their heads. But let's just not talk about them, shall we?

Back to Tok's celebration..
It has been a yearly ritual for as long as I can remember. Every February, we'd either have chalets or kenduris or simple gatherings to mark this joyous occasion. Tok simply love having his 10 kids + 30 (and 1 more on the way!!!) cucus + 3 cicits around him. So, gatherings like is just an excuse for him to see all of us together.

My earliest memory of Tok was saying Fimanillah to him every night before I go to sleep. I assume that means good night in Arabic. I remember Tok eating Mee Rebus every morning for breakfast. I remember Tok fetching me from school every afternoon. I remember Tok buying me double sided tape when I needed it to do my project. I remember Tok teaching me mengaji. I remember Tok teaching me how to read Jawi. I remember Tok making me hafal the Muqaddam. I remember Tok teaching me how to pray. I remember him appearing in front of our door every Sunday morning after his Sembawang trip.

Thinking back, Tok was a huge part of my growing up life. I guess being the eldest grandchild made me have his undivided love and attention back then.
I love him but I just do not know how to tell him that now.
And sometimes when I take a real good look at him, I realise that he is getting to be so frail, when it's the younger and stronger verion of him that's been imprinted in my mind.

I love you, Tok.
I will always pray for your health and happiness.

No comments: