Thursday, May 05, 2005

Kingdom of Heaven

I was iniatially very hesitatant to watch the movie. Well, simply because i found out that it was about Christianity vs Islam in some kind of war a thousand year ago. I was afraid that since most probably it'll potray Christianity in a positive light and since I'm looking from THEIR perspective.. I'll unconsciously be rooting for them to win the war. And thats wrong.

But, I went ahead to watch the move, for a few reasons.. first, of course..who could resist Orlando Bloom in that kind of period movie welding a sword and all.. second, Shreil convinced me that we should just watch it for the sake of the 'árt' and forget all the religious issues at hand. Third, I just love those kind of movies..(remember Gladiator, Patriot, Braveheart and LOTR) Its MY kind of movie..though I'll always end up crying which I absolutely hate. Lastly, Orlando Bloom in a knight suit, welding a swood, long hair, broody.. or have i mentioned that? Right. I did. Orlando Bloom.

It would have been a total waste if I didnt go. It was a fantastic movie. I love it. Absolutely. I was impressed by the fact that whoever made the movie was able to make it in a way that it didn't somehow potray either religion as the 'bad guy'. You know, how Hollywood likes to stereoype 'óthers' (Chinese, Japanese, Russians, GErmans) as the bad guys. They are the only good nes around in this world. And since this is THEIR movie and its about Christianity and Islam.. I thought for sure they'd potray the Muslims as a barbaric lot or something. But they did not.

That was good. The message that they tried to put across is ( what I think, that is) that WHAT in th world are we fighting for? Why must there be bloodshed? Basically, like what all those Miss Universe contestants would day.."WORLD PEACE" Seriously. World Peace. Thousands and thousands died. For what? They fought for what they believed in. I respect them for that. They were willing to die for they beliefs. Both sides. It hurts to see how hard the Christians tried to defend the walls of Jerusalem (or rather, the people BEHIND the walls) and it hurts me more to see fellow Muslims to died fighting in the name of Allah s.w.t. They fought for WHAT they believe in. WOW. I TOTALLY TOTALLY respect them for that.

But then, I'm not a person who'd advocate war or anything like that. I'm the direct opposite. I'm a peace loving kind of person. I always wonder why can't we all live in peace and harmony? What is SO DAMN difficult about THAT! You do your own business and leave others to do theirs. Is that difficult? Why must you fight over land? Why must you kill each other? I still dont understand that. Why must people of different race or religion go to war. To defend THEIR religion? I'm talking in circles right now cause I'm thinking in circles. I'm desperately trying to make sense of things here. Of Life.

Somewhere in the movie mentioned something like..ermm.. what does God wants? Something along the line. And the answer was like... a person who does good. Its as simple as that. You do good things. I'm sure, all that God want from us is very simple.. for us to do good. Use our mind and our heart to do good. DO GOOD. SIMPLE. Not go around trying to claim our lands.. killing one another... Just do something good in our daily lives. As simple as that. Why can't they get it?

Things like those people taking hostages and cutting off their necks like their somekind of sacrificial lambs.. Is that good? I dont think so. What are they fighting for? The religion. Yes. But WHAT exactly? How can those actions actually help the religion or most importantly the believers of the religion? What good will come of slaughtering innocent people. Normal people .. at the wrong place and wrong time. Is that GOOD? Does that make one a hero or a better believer in the eyes of God? As compared to ordinary people like me.. who, in our own simple ways..try to make the world a better place. Me, trying to change the life of my students to be more meaningful, better. Me who stays back after school to talk and solve the problems of my students. In God's eyes.. who is better? The person who is brave and willing to die for the religion by suicide bombings..or plain me who is trying to 'make a difference in other people's life'? I have no idea. I wouldnt know the answer until THE DAY comes. The day where all our deeds and misdeeds will be evaluated and we'll be rewarded/punished accordingly.

No comments: